Located 7.5 miles from the border between Portugal and Spain, the garrison town of Elvas in Portugal has been added to the list of UNESCO World Heritage sites. Built as a response to the Spanish stronghold of Badajoz, this hilltop town was one of Portugal’s mightiest frontier posts for many years.
The town was originally re-captured from the Moors in 1230, withstanding a multitude of attacks from Spain during the following 3 centuries. During the war of Independence between Portugal and Spain from 1640-1668 the town was defeated by the Spanish but was later relieved by the Portuguese. In more recent years the town was used by the Duke of Wellington as his headquarters in his siege of the Spanish town of Badajoz. Read more »